How to jump in VR

Is there any way to retain the jump command while using the vr headsets? I have some students trying to make platformers.

3 Likes

Technically it’s possible to jump instead of walking using some JavaScript but then you would overwrite the current behaviour (walking).

At the moment controls are optimised for cardboard, means that there is only one input (touch). This input is occupied with “walking” or “flying” depending on what camera mode you’re in. But in a platformer you most likely want to walk and jump, which is not so easy to do when you have just one button.

1 Like

There could be an API/Block to perform the jump that you could call programmatically. For example, connecting it to an activation of a button or a hover.

Just thought I’d bring this post back to the top. Any updates? It would be great to have the ability to jump in VR. My students demand to play their parkour maps in 3D!

5 Likes

My students were just talking about this today!

1 Like

Hi everyone!

We’ve made an example space to demo mobile & VR - jumping for you :slight_smile:

Here’s how it looks in action on mobile phones, tablets and in VR!

To add the jumping feature to your space, simply copy and paste the JUMP_FEATURE ball. You can do so by selecting the red ball in the editor, pressing CTRL/CMD + C to copy and then paste it into your space via CTRL/CMD + V

Update: Copying the demo feature is not possible anymore. Please let us know if you’d like to see this feature in CoSpaces Edu!

Please let us know what you think! Since it is a demo feature we’d really love your feedback on it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oops, didn’t notice the official reply. Thanks! That seems like a decent workaround given the limits of having a screen strapped to your face. I would still love to see game controller support at some point, it would open up so many possibilities!

4 Likes

The remix link doesn’t seem to work. nothing happens when I click the + button.

1 Like

Hi @Olavur_Reynslag,

Copying this demo feature is not possible anymore. Thanks for your interest!

1 Like

Hi I just got an oculus go for my classes, and would love to know how to jump

1 Like

It is working for me.

1 Like

Are you talking about copying the demo?

1 Like

Of course. it would be a nice way of solving the problem of jumping on mobile.

1 Like

@Stefan Any word on the functionality of this? It’s still the number 1 request for my classes by a longshot.

4 Likes

Can we please see this code (script or coBlocks) - either through open sharing or screenshots added here.

thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Teacher_bob,

I reproduced this Space so you can remix the shared space and copy the code to your Scene.

If you have any questions or find any bugs, please write here.

2 Likes

Hi there! Thank you for the help! I’d like to know if there’s a way to make the visitors can’t jump across walls?

1 Like

Hi @Nikolay this Space doesn’t seem to be remixable anymore. I’m curious to see how the jump was coded.

1 Like

Hi @ianostrom,

The CoSpace is remixable if you have a Pro account. This CoSpace is currently remixable.

Regards,
Geoff @ Techleap

1 Like

Thanks Geoff @techleapnz,

I must have been trying to remix before my pro account was set up. It works fine now.

This is definitely going to be one of those “Just copy and paste this code” situations. :grin: They’re still learning the basics.

Ian

2 Likes