Importing objects in .stl

Hi.
How to set scale when importing an object in .stl?
Thank you.

Hi Daniel,

1. Via the UI when you click on the object once.
  2. Using the “scale” block in Blockly.
  3. Using the .setScale() method in JavaScript.

Hi Benny,

When I import a 3D object, initial dimensions are modified.
How can I find the value of the scale factor used for the import?

.stl objects are scaled by a power of two (2^n) so that the object size is always between 0.5m and 2m. When you upload an object you have the option to display the exporter log. There you can see the exact scale value.

Thank you! That’s what I was looking for! Unfortunately I can not enter a numeric value for the scale factor from the UI. I have to do it with Blockly. So I can not easily import 3D objects with their original dimensions.

Yes thats right, you need to adjust the object manually after you uploaded it. But you don’t need to use Blockly, just scale it using the arrow icon.

It is really difficult to manually adjust the scale factor when there is no numerical information on the final size of the object.
The simplest way would be to be able to enter a scale factor during the import process.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I’ll forward it to the team.

Would it be helpful for you if we provide a checkbox like “keep original size” or something similar when importing an object? Maybe we don’t need an input field for the scale value then.

1 Like

Hi Benny, and happy new year to all for 2018.
I precisely define the dimensions of an object when I design the parts in my CAD software. It would be nice if I could choose to keep the original scale factor when importing into CoSpaces. Unfortunately this need is urgent for me.
Thanks for your help.

Thank you Daniel, I wish you a happy new year as well!

From what I understand, a checkbox to keep the original size is what we need and I forwarded this request to the team. However, I can’t promise a quick update regarding this feature. But like I said, we’re looking into it and I’ll keep you up to date.

1 Like

Hi, I still can not import my objects in .stl format because of the scale that can not be kept. This is blocking for me. When can I expect a solution to my problem?

Hi Daniel,

no final solution has been implemented yet. But we are aware of this issue and I’ll keep you updated.