Additional Videos explaining to students how to make escape rooms

I work with gifted kids grades 2-4 and am looking for a step by step video or power point that explains how to create their own escape room. We watched the video about how to make a game which helped some. Thanks

1 Like

Hey! I have actually created several escape rooms using CoSpaces. If you want, I would be more than happy to record the process.

3 Likes

That would be great. I looked at the code on one and it was like java or python and we really need to use coblocks. My kids are very eager to learn and so am I . Thanks so much !

1 Like

Hello,

I would loe to see your tutorials as well. We are using breakout for digital escape rooms but this would add a whole new layer. Please send me a link to your tutorial at david.cruz@peelsb.com or p0065926@pdsb.net.

A thousand pleases and thank yous!

Dave

1 Like

I would love to get the tutorials too, plz :slight_smile:

yonivas0@gmail.com

thanks,
Yoni

1 Like

You can also create escape rooms with Metaverse: https://medium.com/metaverseapp/build-an-augmented-reality-challenge-for-your-class-bee6638e0dd8**

1 Like

Can you please share the tutorial with me?

1 Like

Did you ever get a tutorial?

1 Like

Hi @Morgan_Lucas et al,

Technically, all you really need for an escape room is a series of events (usually click events), which can either be nested (which allows some new things become clickable once you click a certain Item) or not (you can click everything).

Once you’ve got this, it becomes a matter of creative clue-making to ensure the escape room is fun and engaging.

Cheers,
Geoff @ TechLeap

1 Like

Thank you so much! I am doing this with 6th graders, so I have to be able to explain to them step by step. I tried to familiarize myself with the coding, but there are just no tutorials on it. I know a little, but want to know much more!

1 Like

I assigned my Computer Science Principles students an Escape Room Project with a CS theme. Here is an example of one that includes some code with variables (which are a bit advanced), as well as some simple click action nesting. I am going to try to create a short video explaining the basics of click actions that have conditionals for doors to open and allow access like this (without variables) to simplify the process. CoSpaces Edu :: Dewikus Reg

1 Like

I’d be interested in any tutorials you have on this. I was surprised there’s not much on Youtube. Any help would be appreciated

1 Like

Hey, Kevin, did you by chance get around to making any tutorials like you mentioned. I’m on the front end of taking on escape rooms with 7th/8th graders and am looking for any tutorials I can get my hands on. Btw, love that sample with the binary code and variables.

1 Like

I was able to get this simple example set up. One of my students and I are presenting at Spring CUE on Escape Rooms and we are building out the slides with examples, code and potential ideas for code exploration challenges to assign for breakout rooms (sort of like advanced challenges for students who can do the simple conditionals). I should have that in a couple weeks, as we are presenting this month! Here is the basic idea though: CoSpaces - Escape Room & Assessments - Teacher Tech Rescue - YouTube

Also, I may build out some more on here with additional support for the escape room as a component to the Virtual Museum: https://sites.google.com/learningchoice.org/cospacesvirtualmuseum/what-is-a-virtual-museum:

2 Likes

Sorry. it picked up colon on the URL for the Museum:

2 Likes

Note that the following video on Variables is also relevant for Escape Rooms (but not always required):

Geoff @ TechLeap

1 Like

I did an Escape Room presentation with one of my students at CUE Sprint 21’ and it was a huge success. I am groin to include the slides here. They have some good examples ranging from beginner to advanced. Feel free to remix any of these or use them however you would like. Next time we do a presentation on this, hopefully it will be a free one that y’all can attend! Feel free to leave comments in the slides if you get stuck on anything or need support. bit.ly/CUE_CoSpaces

2 Likes