Animating a Group

Hi everyone! Is there a way of animating a grouped set of characters?

Thanks.

Simon

Hi MrLux4DMoore,

what kind of animation do you need for a grouped set of characters?
Do you want to launch a certain animation for each character within a group?

Michael

Hi @MrLux4DMoore,

As the animation gets applied to the individual characters in a group, which may or may not have the same animation, you can’t animate a group.

However, as mentioned above, we can animate all the characters in that group. As the animation CoBlock can currently only be applied to specific Items, Scripting is the best way to iterate through the Items in a group and animate them. See this post for details: Use LIST to store random animations for scene items - #2 by Nikolay

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions about this. If this solves your problem, please mark this post as the Solution.

Many thanks,
Geoff @ TechLeap

Thanks Geoff. It is CoBlocks script we are using, so I suspected a whole group cannot be animated.

Thanks anyway.

Simon

1 Like

Hi Mikhailo

We have an example of where children are trying to recreate a battle for their History topic. They want to have a group of ‘cavalry’ change animation midway through their movement on the ‘battlefield’.

Thanks.

Simon

Hi MrLux4DMoore,
as it was mentioned earlier, the best way to animate a group is to iterate over all items within a group and apply animation to each of them.

Morning Mikhailo

Do you mean to animate them all individually and then group them? Will their individual animations remain when the whole group is coded to move?

Thanks.

Hi @MrLux4DMoore,

When using CoBlocks, you’ll need to animate each Item individually. They can be grouped already, and yes, the individual animations will remain when you move the group. I’d encourage you to give it a try - it’s the best way to find out what will happen.

Geoff @ TechLeap

2 Likes