Ariane 5 simulation

Hi, I’m trying to simulate launching an Ariane 5 rocket:

I need help to:

• Precisely control time between each elementary movement (dz), for example 100 ms.
  • Manage the display of texte and data with line breaks.
  • Use the “round …” block in the “set text …” block.
  • Make the camera looks towards the rocket permanently.
  • Attach a second camera to the rocket (which is an object in STL).
  • Choose any object for the “create item” block, then name it, choose its size and color, … (to generate the output smoke of the engines).
  • Turn at an angle less than 1 °.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Nobody can help me ?

I would also need to be able to save the data z(t) and v(t), in a csv file for example, to be able to draw the corresponding curves.

Thanks for your help

1 Like

HI @Daniel_Pers,

I went through your questions, remixed and updated your space with corresponding changes:

• Precisely control time between each elementary movement (dz), for example 100 ms.
    I have added the block "Wait
    "
  • Manage the display of texte and data with line breaks.
    You can do it if you split your text block into different parts.
  • Use the “round …” block in the “set text …” block.
    You can do it if you create new variable with rounded value and use it in “set text” block
  • Make the camera looks towards the rocket permanently.
    Create a forever block and insert into it "Look At " block for the camera. I have placed a Look at point at the rocket to control the view.
  • Attach a second camera to the rocket (which is an object in STL).
    You can add new camera objects to the scene and switch to them using "Switch to camera " block
  • Choose any object for the “create item” block, then name it, choose its size and color, … (to generate the output smoke of the engines).
    I created “GenerateSmoke” function that adds a smoke to the bottom of the rocket. You can change the size or color inside of it.
  • Turn at an angle less than 1 °.
    The Turn block accepts 1 as minimal value
  • I would also need to be able to save the data z(t) and v(t), in a csv file for example, to be able to draw the corresponding curves.
    You can use the "Debug.log " block to write the values to console. Then you can copy them to Excel and format there

Here is the modified space with all that changes

1 Like

Hi @Nikolay, Thank you very much, I couldn’t do it without your help. I will study your solutions this afternoon. Some first questions.

• Why don’t I see Newtext2 and NewText3 on stage (in construction mode)?
  • How to copy console data into Excell?
  • How to maintain the visibility of the rocket at high altitude?
1 Like

@Daniel_Pers,

• Why don’t I see Newtext2 and NewText3 on stage (in construction mode)?
    I removed the text from them. You can try to click on the space below the Newtext or select them from the library.
  • How to copy console data into Excell?
    You have to stop Debug.log calls. The easiest way is to put Debug.log calls into the If time block.
    Then you can select the text from the console
  • How to maintain the visibility of the rocket at high altitude?
    You can switch to another camera and attach that camera to the rocket. If you place that camera on a distance from the rocket, you have very good view on flying rocket
1 Like

I have just completed the preparation of a scientific activity for my K11 and K12 students that I will start on Tuesday with them.
The objective is to model different kinematic behaviors of Ariane 5 by completing different programs with CoBlocks: linear motion with constant speed, then with constant acceleration, then the combination with a rotation (pitch), … with acquisition and exploitation of data in a spreadsheet, which will be compared to those obtained during a real launch. The sequencing of the final countdown will also be analyzed for its algorithmic aspect (with abort).

Today I share my document in French that I will give to my students:

It uses a CoSpaces shared space with two versions.
- A first version with the completed programs, which they can not see because I only share the link. This, however, allows to see the desired behavior.
Link for you without possibility to remix: https://cospac.es/rjtc

- A second version with programs to complete, shared directly on the CoSpaces accounts of my students.
Link for you with possibility to remix: https://cospac.es/VJri

A complete correction, questionnaire and completed programs will be given to the students when the work is completed.

I would be interested in your remarks about this activity that I find innovative.

Daniel Pers, STEM Teacher in France

1 Like

I like your approach of using CoSpaces scene together with the calculations, questionnaires and videos. That looks amazing and engaging for kids.

Also, if you remove the unused smoke effects after some time, it may boost overall performance

1 Like

Thanks @Nikolay for these informations.
I wish I could gradually remove the smoke, but I don’t know how to do it in a simple way.

I would also like to make a much simpler questionnaire for my K8 or even K7 students.
I would need to be able to hide (collapse ?) most of the functions, showing only one or two functions and the main loop (perhaps without a loop). See more details in this post.
Is it possible ?

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I wish I could gradually remove the smoke, but I don’t know how to do it in a simple way.

You can do it in a function where you create them. Just add following blocks

deletePrototype

I would need to be able to hide (collapse ?) most of the functions, showing only one or two functions and the main loop (perhaps without a loop).

Currently functions cannot be collapsed or hidden.

1 Like

Actually it’s much simpler than I thought simple when we manage it directly in the same function.
I chose to gradually reduce the opacity before removing the smoke.

On the other hand, I realize that if I suppress the smoke too much we do not see the trajectory anymore, which was the main interest from a pedagogical point of view.

With regard to the smoke emitted before lift-off, it is not realistic to remove it before the rocket has left the launch tower (ie 12 s after ignition of main engine).
It is therefore difficult for me to find the right compromise, especially if I use the clouds with particles that require a lot of computing power. Pity !

Here is the new version of my space, to test this solution (with camera fixed).

In any case, I did not know how to handle objects created by a function. It will be very useful for me in the future.

To hide a function, could I put it in another “tab”?

Thank you very much @Nikolay for your help.

1 Like