Importing Poly models to use on paths, model orientation

How do you maintain the orientation of an imported poly model while in the play mode? If the poly model is imported and appears below the workplane or horizontal it reverts back to the original orientation once it is in play mode using a path. You can raise and straighten in the edit mode but it does not maintain the position. Thanks!

Hi @c3D,

please take a look at the thread with the similar question: Objects appearing upside-down after rotating path

1 Like

Thank you Nikolay. I have added an object. Attached it and it continues to move to a different height on the plane when play is clicked. Can you please help me understand? Thank you.

Hi @c3D,

I added auxiliary object, attached your model object to it and turned the model object to desired direction. Feel free to remix the space and explore the solution.

PS: I didn’t make auxiliary object completely invisible, so you can see how it moves. Please, set it’s opacity to zero before using

Hi Nikolay,
Thank you for resolving the issue. I inspected the remix and can not see the steps to which you corrected the model. Was it something I was doing wrong or was there a problem with the model? I would like to understand the issue fully so that if it happens again I will know how to fix it in the future. Thank you for your help.

I didn’t change the model. I just add it to parent object. You can see it in the scene objects inspector:

1 Like

Hi Nikolay,
I am having the same problem again with another imported 3D model rotating in play mode. I added the seahorse to a parent object and made the ellipsoid move on the path. In the editor the seahorse is upright. When I press play it rotates. If I rotate the seahorse -90Âş it plays correctly in play mode. Is that the only way to resolve this problem or am I not attaching it correctly? Thanks for your help.

Hi,

when you tell an object to move on path, it orients to look at the direction of path first.
You can see the direction if you click “Translation mode” in the menu and the green arrow shows that axis:

(for library animal objects that axis is oriented naturally where the eyes look)

For some objects it is not easy to identify that axis. In your example the ball will turn 90 degrees and the sea horse will be oriented not as expected.

In order to fix it I rotated the sphere object and it will move on path without additional rotations

I hope it helps. If have any questions, feel free to ask

1 Like

Thank you so much!!! This is very helpful.

1 Like