Middle School Teacher New to CoSpaces in Need of Help

I am a middle school technology teacher and am new to CoSpaces. I want to show my students how to use Blockly to code their creations. They are familiar with using Scratch and I wanted to “take it to the next level” with CoSpaces and a 3D environment. Are there resources for teachers on how to get students started on the basics? I have found a few tutorials, but nothing geared specifically for teachers. I have already set up my classes and students have “joined” now we just need to get started with the fun stuff!

I see in one the tutorials with a unicorn, that it says that many of the characters have “built-in” animations. I am only finding one figure, a bird, that has this. What am I doing wrong? Students are not going to enjoy this much if their characters just appear to be gliding across the screen in a stationary position. They will want them to walk, gallop, fly, etc. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Hey,

Regarding your question with the objects. You can check the “Characters” categorie, there you will find the humans with all kinds of animations. And also have a look at the “More objects” categorie, it contains a lot of objects with nice animations :slight_smile:

Perfect! Thank you!

Do you know if there is a way to animate the items under “3D Objects”? There seems to be a lot more variety under that category.

The only objects that can be animated are the ones that have built in animations included in the inspector :slight_smile:

Thank you Ben! That stinks…but I understand.

What about teacher resources? Do you have sample lessons, user guides or beginning step-by-step tutorials of the basics to help teachers get started coding with kids? It’s great to be able to set up classes, but there doesn’t seem to be much already existing out there by way of support tools/resources.

Of course, we have plenty of materials :slight_smile:

You can check here for numerous resources/lesson plans: https://cospaces.io/edu/plans.html

The gallery inside of CoSpaces Edu is host to numerous different spaces that can be explored.

This forum is also a great place to get some handy tips, as well as our Youtube channel that has a number of great tutorials from getting started to more complex coding: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6VsnmaKQ9MNRpJbFsIhoGw

And don’t forget our Hour of Code activities that can be found here: https://cospaces.io/edu/hour-of-code/pirate-plunder/

Thank you!!

Our class completed the hour of code activities Pirate Plunder and Robot Rattle. The students really enjoyed them!

Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

I am having students try out the welcome tutorial this week in class and they have noticed a few errors:

The instructions to copy an object say to left click. They are noticing that left clicking does not work, however right clicking does.

The “markers” icon is missing from the final step in scene one.

The “upload” icon shown in the tutorial is different than the upload icon where you actually click to upload an image, etc.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention; we will make some amendments to the tutorial :slight_smile:

16 posts were split to a new topic: Blockly coding samples