New age of consent at 16

I’ve just noticed in an email that the legal age of consent is rising to 16. Do that mean that students below 16 cannot use CoSpaces?

Of course students below 16 can use Cospaces!

In the Terms of Use https://cospaces.io/edu/terms-of-use.html is written:

"CoSpaces Edu only collects personal information through the Services from a child under age 16 where their school, district, and/or teacher has agreed (via the terms described in more detail below) to obtain parental consent to use the Services and disclose personal information to us for the use and benefit of the learning environment.

If you are aware that CoSpaces Edu is collecting information from a student under age 16 without parental consent, please contact us immediately at info@delightex.com and we will delete the data.

[…]

Students under the age 16 may use CoSpaces Edu only if their parent or legal guardian has given permission to their teacher or school."

However i’d like to know if there’s any age limit related to other reasons: visor Google Cardboard should be 7 or 8; Google Daydream, for example, is 13; others like the ViewMaster, the MergeVR and the Systro should be somewhere in between…

1 Like

I noticed that as well. How was the age determined? Just curious as most products usually are 13. This will have an impact at essentially every grade level.

These changes are in response to new European Union regulations I believe.

Hi,
I have few concerns over this age restriction:

1. there is no obvious way setting the age after the user was created.
  2. How can we know if teacher allows sharing the data on behalf of parents. I am aware that only parents can give such consent and not teachers.
1 Like

Agree with 1st concern

Please read the current Terms of Use (same link as above), which have removed the student age description, and include the following:

Teachers and schools agree to obtain written consent from parents of students prior to their students creating accounts on CoSpaces Edu. Alternatively Teachers and Schools may act as the Student’s parent’s agent and provide consent to use CoSpaces Edu solely in the educational context (as provided in https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-coppa-frequently-asked-questions#Schools). In case of the latter, the Teacher shall be authorized by the Students’ parents accordingly. The Teacher should consult with its school or school district to ensure that the Teacher obtains proper consent to use CoSpaces Edu in the classroom.

Geoff @ TechLeap