Recreating our Solar System in CoSpaces Edu seems to be very popular and we’ve seen many cool examples! Here is a way to make the planets orbit the Sun using Blockly.
- You can use the ellipsoid from the “Building blocks” category for the Sun and the planets. Place the Sun in the middle of the scene and align all the planets to the left. Name the planets and enable them for Blockly.
- Pay attention to the individual distances of each planet to the Sun. We need those values in Blockly later on. The grid helps you with the units.
- In order to make a planet orbit the Sun, use the “turn” block (the one with the radius parameter) from the “Transitions” tab. Here, you need to use the appropriate value for the radius and specify the orbit time as well. Put the “turn” block inside a loop to make the planet orbit the Sun repeatedly.
- When you press the “Play” button you should see this:
- Do the same for the rest of the planets and wrap everything inside an “execute in parallel” block.
This is a very simple example on which you can build and with a little bit of artistic effort you can go pretty far with your Solar System. You could use
.obj models for your planets, build a nice background scene, use some arithmetic to get the ratio of the orbit times and size differences between the planets right etc.