3rd person game, character moves through other items

Hey,

So I am making a 3rd person open-world game. I have made the movement with arrows and spacebar possible, but I can not find a solution to prevent my character from walking through items.
Is there any solution to prevent my character from walking through the environment?

I have tried the following methods:

• I know the camera can do so, and will not be able to walk through objects. So I attached my character to the camera (both in the Item tree and also directly), but because the character is in front of the camera the character will walk through the environment until the camera collides with an item, and then its stops. So that isn’t a solution, because then my character already has walked through the object.
  • I also tried physics. But no matter how heavy I make the objects, when my character collides with an object the other object will fly away…
    is there any other solution possible?

Looking forward to a response!

Kind regards,

Cora

Hi @Cora_Duim,

If the problem is the objects flying away, open the Object Inspector for those Items, go to Physics and enable Set Static.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions about this. If this solves your problem, please mark this post as the Solution.

Many thanks,
Geoff @ TechLeap

Hi @techleapnz,

The problem is; if I set the items on static, the character will walk through it.
And If apply set physics to it, the objects fly away.

kind regards,

Cora Duim

If the character has physics, and the static objects have physics, and you’re using Physics for movement, it should resolve some of the issues.

I haven’t found a 100% effective solution to this, or navigating with Physics in 3rd person. Here’s where I’m up to:

@Stefan, do you have any thoughts or tips on this? I get weird things happening when Items are attached to the Camera in this mode too.

Many thanks,
Geoff

Did anybody find a way to resolve characters walking through items?