New historical characters

HI! I would like to know if there are plans to introduce new historical figures into the Library: they would be very useful dressed in medieval, Renaissance, but also 19th-century fashion

8 Likes

W would like a Monk to create a community #monachism

4 Likes

Hey @Profdavid71 - thanks for sharing this! Iā€™ll forward this as feedback to our development team and who knows, you might just get your wish :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @Profdavid71 @astrid_hulsebosch

Do you have any ideas on how youā€™d use such characters and what the educational context would be? Weā€™d love to get as much information as we can to ensure weā€™re always considering these things when updating our library :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Certainly! I had my students work with CoSpaces on immersive scenarios based on the novel ā€œI promessi sposiā€ by Alessandro Manzoni, set in the 17th century, and it would have been great to have characters dressed in the fashion of the time. In general, many jobs need characters from other historical periods, in addition to those already in the library.

2 Likes

In the meantime, I think you could insert a set of medieval characters, in addition to the knight already present: the monk, the lady, the noblemanā€¦ it would be fantastic to be able to have them available next year for a work on Dante Alighieriā€™s Divine Comedy!

2 Likes

I like this idea of being able to dress character objects based on time periods. Perhaps rather than new sets of characters, we could be able to change the outfits of characters to fit different time periods or styles.

2 Likes

Iā€™m agree with you, if you could fit diferent clothes, you dont really need to animate a new character.
In addition, would be interesting that every character could do every animation, for example, the roman soldier could teach or float.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s a deeply felt need: I like both of the proposed solutions

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback everyone! These are great ideas and will be passed on and discussed with the team :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi all,

CoSpaces is a great tool to teach History together with coding at school. We are using it with Grade 8 students and having great success, as we have Egyptian and Roman Characters to create different situations explaining the First Civilisations, Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome.

We would like now to continue using CoSpaces for Grade 9 to Grade 11 students, and it would be very helpful to have a wider range of Historic Characters, from Medieval Era (500 AD to 1500 AD), Early Modern Era (1500 AD to 1800 AD), and also Prehistoric Characters.

Importing 3D models is helpful with ā€˜staticā€™ objects, but having characters than can be animated would be fantastic!

Many thanks and congratulations for your great job CoSpaces!

Best, Victor.

3 Likes

Thanks for that feedback, Victor, it will of course be passed on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In addition, I was thinking that would be interesting to create a character with Downā€™s syndrome just to normalize the Psychological disabilities.
What you think?

4 Likes

@DaniYubero Thatā€™s a great idea! Thanks for your suggestion, we always strive to make CoSpaces as inclusive as possible. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Iā€™m agree, I thought about this many times. Iā€™m sure kids ad young adults would love this feature.

1 Like

I agree with the mention about history periods.

1 Like

This is an actual project in which we would like to use it. Monastery Escape

4 Likes

Letā€™s remember that most of the suggestions here around historical characters are Euro-centric, and thereā€™s a whole lot of history which happened on other continents (Asia, Africa, and South America come to mind).

7 Likes

Good idea with the historical characters! And Iā€™d like add, that it can give wider application for Grades 1-4 also. My daughter is passing to Grade 2 now at online school, which used CoSpacesā€™ 3D models in their lessons. Itā€™s mostly used to show historical places with VR,AR and itā€™s amazing. My daughter can stick on looking at that for hours. But the main is that she gets picture kept in memory well and long time. And when it comes to explaining some general things, objects of nature or technologies the school usually shows kinda mix of simple pictures with complex videos.
That is hard for kidsā€™ brains yet. I think some characters animated explainer videos should be more easy to perceive for kids. Iā€™ve seen the explainer video production case study, where itā€™s shown for example a historical progress of mailing.
IMO - for lesson purpose so high quality of animation is not required, but itā€™s good idea to visualize for kids the historical development of ā€œwheat growing + bread making processā€ or ā€œphone/TV/car inventing and production progressā€ etc in a storytelling format.
Guess it would be good to make with CoSpaces creation tools, using historical characters. And perhaps @DaniYubero ā€™s idea with different clothes collections would be enough for such application. Just Iā€™d add also more clothes to visualize different generations and professions of 19th - 20th centuries as well. If you think it worth, I can share more detailed ideas/examples later, during the school year.

4 Likes