Oculus Go support

This morning i’ve been ‘surprised’ by a new web interface (cool!) and a ‘back to school section’ where the announced Oculus Go support is confirmed.

Since currently i don’t have a Oculus Go to check it out immediately, but i’m in the process to buy many devices for next activities, i would like to know more info about its support…
to start with some questions:

1- the MAIN question is: how do you support the Oculus Go controller? it would be great to have the chance to hover and select an object independently from the direction of sight. Currently the point-and-click works only with the spot in center of the field of view, and it’s a huge limitation for designing HUD-like UI interactions.
It would be also nice to have a specific event for the ‘Home’ button…

2- (related to the first one) is there a variable (in CoBlocks or Script) that can tell at runtime which platform is used, so that i can design specific UI for specific platforms?

Cheers,

Mario

1 Like

Hi @mariochiesa,

1. In CoSpaces on Oculus Go you’ll be able to control your vision and controller separately from another. Item events for onHover and onActivate will be placed on controller interaction (e.g. you have to point and click with the controller, not with your gaze).

1.1) The Home button of the Oculus Go controller can not be re-programmed and always returns you to the Oculus dashboard. The return button of the Oculus Go controller will exit the current scene you are in.

2. We have the internal method Scene.isVRMode() which returns TRUE when the scene is started in VR mode. Please keep in mind that there is an API change coming with our future updates, which will give you access to much more scripts in different namespaces. You can use the internal method as-is, but its access will change in the future (it’ll be moved to another namespace).

3. There are also VR-specific CoBlocks in the works. They will add much more fun interactivity to your controller.

Dear Stefan,
thank you for your reply.
I think i will buy a Oculus Go and try Cospaces on it!

I’m trying to understand if it’s better to suggest schools that want to work with Cospaces to buy Go with headphones or something like the Geneeo VR (http://www.geneeo.com/entertainment/) with a smartphone.
There are several pros and cons, as you know, but the ability to point and click with the controller, not with the gaze, is a BIG plus, and opens up new scenarios, like HUDs.

Audio in headphones/earphones is also important in a classroom.

About 1. I’m confused, when you say “you’ll be able” and “will be placed”… it means it is not supported now? if so, when it will be available?

About 2. Nice to know. With those new features Oculus Go-related it will be important to have a similar .isGOMode() that returns true if scene is started with a Oculus Go.

Sorry for so many questions, but it’s hard to make purchase decisions now for something it will be used from November to next May, willing to stay aligned with Cospaces advancements but already productive now!

To 1) ‘You’ll be able’, and ‘will be placed’ once you have an Oculus Go and use it with CoSpaces EDU :wink:

It’s already out for Oculus Go, to confirm :slight_smile:

To 2) Very interesting feedback. So far, we only differentiate between different viewing modes (AR, VR, 3D) and platforms (Web, Mobile, Tablet), but haven’t added OculusGo to that recognition yet. Is it important for you to check specific for the Oculus GO platform when making a space that has multi-platform support? Do you have a specific project in mind?

Hi,
I am very new to cospaces, but am becoming a big fan already. I downloaded cospaces for Oculus GO today, built a space on my laptop and junped right in with VR. Works like a dream. I am spellbound. The only thing I’m trying to figure out is how to design the space so I can move around it in VR with the Go controller. I check existing spaces to confirm that my controller works. It does, and I can move around. SO it must be something to do with the way I have set up my scene / something I have forgotten to do or set.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Daniel

Found it. A bit more experimenting and I got it. I have to say the editor is very intuitive.
Great work.
Daniel

Hi @Danzig360,

I’m glad that our building environment is easy enough to allow you find solutions quickly! :slight_smile:
Make sure to browse the forum and type your questions in the search icon / bar of the forum. Chances are that someone encountered similar issues before.

For any other questions you don’t find answers to, we’re here to help! We can also give tips and tricks to existing scenes you work on.

That said, welcome to the CoSpaces EDU community. Hope you enjoy your stay :wink:

Hi @Danzig360,
glad to hear that from you. Can you explain a bit more this “how to design the space so I can move around it in VR with the Go controller”? How did you setup your scene? What did you discover?
Thanks,

1 Like

For those of us who use Google Logins, how can we log on to my CoSpaces account in Oculus Go?

I’m really really really enjoying how easy it is to make in CSE, then switch to Oculus Go and test out the scenes! Its the kind of seamless tool now that any teacher or student can master in minutes so they can get on with learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

One annoying thing of the Oculus Go it’s the lack of the screen sharing / smart view feature. It’s really helpful to share the content on a projector through a chromecast.

A helpful feature would be also the ability to download and store in the memory of Oculus Go some Spaces (like it happen with Google Expeditions), without the need of downloading them every time just before playing them. :slight_smile:

Are you chromecastng CoSpaces using an Android phone? May I ask how you did that?

Sure, make sure your Android and Chromecast are connected to the same Wifi network, and slide in the quick settings menu from the top edge of the smartphone, and then select “Smart View” or “Screen Mirroring”. Selection can be different from device to device, and from different OS versions: typically is in the second page of that menu, or in its bottom part.

The smartphone screen should appear on the TV or projector connected to the Chromecast. When you select a Cospaces space, press ‘Play’ and enter the VR mode, you’ll see the typical splitted screen.

1 Like