Remote Classes over the internet

Has anyone used CoSpaces to deliver a class remotely? How do you feedback? How do you give students instruction?

We are embarking on this and I am planning on using conferencing software along side cospaces. However there may be features that already support this.

All the best,

Anne-Marie

Hi Anne-Marie,

I use CoSpaces with Zoom to teach students remotely for weekly lessons. I set up assignments for students and also share my screen and walk them through the lesson. I then share a recording of the lesson and give detailed written instructions for their assignment via Google Classroom or similar.

Students share their assignments with the class, and I give feedback then and support them with debugging issues by either telling them what to do, or sharing my screen and jumping into their assignment to fix bugs. Students can also contact me during the week.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Geoff @ TechLeap
Guru Ambassador

Dear Geoff,

That is great. There are some really useful ideas there. The session is 45 mins and students wouldn’t contact directly outside of the session. Can I ask a couple of questions?

How do you record the session?
How do you structure the students feedback to the class? Are they together in the same room or are they connected via Zoom?

Thanks so much for your response.

I record via Zoom’s built-in functionality. If you’re teaching to a room of students, that’s a different story - mine are connecting individually. What’s the setup for your session?

Geoff @ TechLeap

We are using obs studio streaming platform. As the session involves a number of different inputs. We will then connect via the school’s video conferencing software.

The benefit of this two fold. One it means the teacher doesn’t spend half the session trying to figure out the controls. Two the school can have the settings secured for safeguarding. There have been some high profile incidences of zoom meetings being hacked and harmful content being streamed in the UK. I think obs studio has a record function so that is all good.

OBS Studio has the ability to stream to streaming platforms/services such as YouTube/Twitch/Facebook Live. It does have a record function, and you can automatically record streams, but this needs to be enabled in the settings.

What I’m guessing is that you want to share multiple screens/cams via OBS, with your students/school. This is possible, but you will need to create a windowed projection of the OBS output which you would then share via the video-conferencing software.

Zoom did have some issues with Zoom-bombing initially in April, but these concerns were fixed in subsequent updates, which made the platform far more secure. No-one gets into my meetings unless I let them in.

Hope that helps,

Geoff @ TechLeap