What does the new "Magic zone" do in the CoSpaces editor?

I really appreciate the new things that they added cool new things in the latest update, and I noticed that there was an invisible box called the “magic zone” that doesn’t seem to do anything. Does anyone know what it does? Is it like a sort of trigger point?

4 Likes

@Stefan will surely explain us. I’m interested too

2 Likes

Hey @Thermal_Laboratories and @astrid_hulsebosch!

You can now find environment effects in the “Environment” tab. Activate an effect and add the magic box to your scene and you will see what it does :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Am I doing something wrong? I added the “magic zone” box and activated rain, etc. Nothing that I can see. I thought maybe the “magic zone,” is protection from the effects, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

What is it?

1 Like

This Magic Zone + Effects should be the next Friday Feature! (@Coralie @Tamara.Koehler )

Here’s a couple of scenes with examples: CoSpaces Edu :: Magic No-effect Zone

Thanks for clarifying @Simon!

3 Likes

when you do an effect like rain or snow and you go into the magic zone the rain or snow stops and doesn’t show but when you exit the magic zone the rain or snow continues. This works for any effect

1 Like

The magic zone only hides the effect into the box, not the effect outside.

2 Likes

Magic Zones can be used with CoBlocks, so they could be used to trigger collision events in a random area; however, it seems only the middle part of them has collision - @Stefan or @Ilya.Shkuratov, can you confirm please?

See the following remixable example:

1 Like

Please, do not use Magic Zone to trigger collision.
The Magic Zone has a fixes size collision that is intended to be used solely in editor so that the user can select and move it.

To trigger collision when something enter or leave Magic Zone, just place the transparent cuboid of matching size over it and use this cuboid as a trigger.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying @Ilya.Shkuratov . The solution you’ve suggested doesn’t cover my intended use-case though, as the transparent cuboid will still have physics collision, unless it’s added to the Collision filter with Scripting.

I think, ideally, every Item could be easily added to the collision filter via a slide switch in the Object Inspector, and could be enabled/disabled in CoBlocks. I will add a feature request around this.

1 Like